At 08:26 PM 7/13/2005, you wrote:
>Dennis and netters
>The reason that some planes can "lift" a wing in slow flight while
>others can't has to do with a long "arm" or simply the leverage that
>the rudder has due to the length of the tailboom.

Not entirely true.  The more dihedral the plane has, the more
pronounced the yaw/roll coupling (lift a wing with rudder) will
be.  High wing have more effective dihedral than low wings due to the
location of the center of gravity, so a KR looses a some of the
potential for lifting a wing with rudder.

>  Although some of the trainers allow for use of the rudder alone to
> lift a wing during slow flights and stalls, this is mainly done by
> CFI's in training to build control confidence in the student so
> that the student gets used to small inputs, and being smooth, not
> because the rudder is the preferred control device.

Also not entirely true.  My father was a P47 pilot.  He has told me
that they were taught to always use rudder to pick up a wing when
they were slow.  In certain situations, the wing will stall abruptly
toward the low wing when you try and lift it with ailerons
alone.  For example, you can read Delmar Benjamin's book about his
experiences with the GeeBee R1 replica.  In one of his early flights,
it almost snap rolled on final approach when he tried to raise the
wing with aileron.  He said that after that event, he used rudder to
lift the wing in slow flight.

Don Reid  -  donreid "at" peoplepc.com
Bumpass, Va

Visit my web sites at:

AeroFoil, a 2-D Airfoil Design And Analysis Computer Program:
http://aerofoilengineering.com

KR2XL construction: http://aerofoilengineering.com/KR/KR2XL.htm
Aviation Surplus: http://aerofoilengineering.com/PartsListing/Airparts.htm
EAA Chapter 231: http://eaa231.org