Hello  Net

I neglected Tweety for the last three weeks so that I could work on a sick
Cessna 340.  The 340 took all my time.  For the past week I worked feverously
trying to fix some squawks on Tweety.  The gas tank was leaking, the
transponder was out, the brake change was not complete, and it's bottom needed
some paint.  For the most part most of the work got completed today by 4PM.
Full of gas and baggage we headed to the runway and off we went.  The problem
is that we did not get far.   It appears that a while back (35 hours) when I
was moving CHT probes around, I did not re-torque the heads suffiently to
preclude gas leaks.  After takeoff today, the gas leak on the pilots rear
cylinder told me to stay home.  Lift off was normal and I was climbing through
about 500 AGL when the cylinder stopped firing.  The cockpit was shaking from
the three cylinder operation and I squeezed the mike, and told the tower that I
had an emergency and needed a runway.   I was offered the full pattern and
declined while requesting a 180 turn and return to same runway with a tail
wind.   I was asked earlier this afternoon what my speed was at the time the
engine started to miss.   I was climbing at 75 when the engine started to
shake.  I lowered the nose, executed a sharp 180. and reduced rpm and was close
enough with enough altitude to feel the need to pull full flaps for a landing
on the down wind runway.  The tail wind was 6 kts right at my back.  As I
pulled power the prop quit turning and I got some glider practice for the rest
of the trip down.   I never did look at the airspeed, I just flew the plane to
the ground just like a normal landing.  I turned off the runway and stopped in
the grass on the side.  The engine did restart after some effort and popped and
hissed all the way back to my hanger.   A friend of mine was filming my
departure and stated that he has the whole thing on film.  If it's any good,
I'll put it on a web page.  I have pictures of the head and the damage to it
and will upload a page tonight.  As for the trip to Mt. Vernon, well, it's only
Thursday, and a lot can happen between now and the end.

Orma L. Robbins
Southfield, MI
KR-2  N110LR  1984
See Tweety at http://www.kr-2.aviation-mechanics.com