In my opinion, anytime you lessen a torque value on
any metal gasket that holds back large quantities of
pressure, you must reseal the surface with material
that has correct sealing properties. The nice thing
about air coolded engines is that you are only trying
to keep pressure in and you don't have any fluid to
worry about, so there is no need to use sealers. That
being said, if you un-torque your head bolts, you
must, in my opinion, replace the head gasket. If you
are using copper, you can return the material to it's
original soft composition by annealing it. This can
easily be done, but ***is different than steal***.
With steal, you heat then quench to harden it. With
copper, just the opposite is true. You heat the copper
with a torch to at least 800deg F, then water quench
it.  It will soften to it's original state.  You can
then reinstall it. A concern of this method is
oxidation, but it is a long term concern. Rule of
thumb:  Heat until cherry red, throw in a tub of
water, remove, dry, and let cool all the way.  Then
use...

As for the steal base gasket, remember, on the
corvair, that base gasket doesn't hold back combustion
pressure, only minimal crankcase pressure and oil. If
you didn't disturb the position of the cylinder, you
probably don't have to replace the base gasket. If you
did disturb the cylinder, don't anneal the gasket,
just put some sealer on it and you should be fine.

Replace or anneal the headgasket if you untorqued the
bolts. Not only will you save your head from the
damage caused by leaking combustion gasses, but you'll
also save your life.

Again, just my $.02.

Better yet....I think I'll buy a horse.  :-)

Scott