Yes, burned under the copper gasket and eventually through the copper
gasket.   I'm going to talk to my VW guy today and have him look at the
head..  The color of the deposits in the head, look to be on the lean side.
The gas escaped at the top.  Which is where I had removed the nuts to
install the cht senders.  There was torque on the nut, when I went to remove
them, it's just that the gas escape pattern suggests that there was
looseness at the top.   With the turbo putting more pressure on the engine,
the problem may be other.   When I get back to the plane today, I'm going to
play with the other head and see what the torque is like on that side.

Orma
Southfield, MI
KR-2  N110LR  1984
See Tweety at http://www.kr-2.aviation-mechanics.com