Scott and netters
The reason that you pilots are led to believe that carb heat or intake heat are
not required on fuel injected applications is because they falsely believe that
since there is not venturi and that the cooling fuel is introduced near the
intake valve instead of the throttle plate that there is no danger of icing in
the intake.  As Dan pointed out, that is wrong.  The air coming into the intake
manifold is still being accelerated through the opening, and we spend most of
our time at part throttle, with the plate creating a restriction that also
causes some acceleration, and an opportunity for icing when conditions are
right.  A quick look in any certified aircraft cockpit will reveal an
"alternate air" control that is the same as carb heat, heated air applied at
the throttle plate area.  Some aircraft seldom use it because of the way that
the air enters the intake, ie: air is drawn in from the head area etc....   It
would be foolish to not have SOME kind of engine heat to apply to the intake if
needed...

Colin Rainey
brokerpilot9...@earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.