>The discussion here (and other lists concerned with experimentals) is that
>our systems and lighting need not comply with TSO's for equipment nor
>approved materials for installation.  I do think we all agree that best
>practices should be followed, therefore my question.  Comments-?
>Oscar Zuniga

I suspect that the area of coverage for the lighting system must comply
but the installation itself would pretty much be up to the builder.  When
considering an installation in my KR I would weigh the following.

First, what are the odds of the wiring itself failing in a properly installed
system using quality materials.  It's usually the bulbs, sockets, etc at the
end of the system that fail.  A common ground wire capable of handling
the return of both systems seems adequate to me.  Unless you go with
completely separate breakers also, a short in one unit will likely shut down
the entire system anyway.

Second, how much night flying do you realistically think you'll do in a KR
anyway?  If you did 10 hours of night over the course of 250 flying hours
the odds of a failure with the wiring are pretty small.

Third, consider the area you're flying in.  I seldom see another airplane
at night except the airliners at 30,000 feet and I'm flying a KR so I doubt
if they could catch me to run over me. :-)  In the event of a failure, you
have a radio and will be announcing your location to other traffic when
near an airport.  All in all, I consider it a "nit" in the overall scheme of
things.  How many mid-air collisions have you heard of happening
at night?  They seem to happen during the day in the best possible
weather.

Just my opinion.  It's yours that counts..........

Larry Flesner