Colin
I had a push primer in my VP and have one in my 172,
I have failed to lock it and didn;t notice any problem. I also feel as if I
have some control of the amount of fuel I push in.  When you push 1/2 or 1/4
of a stroke surely that is less fuel.
Why can't it be used while cranking the motor?

Steve Bray
Jackson, Tennessee