Tim wrote:

>Regarding the wing skins, what weight of carbon did you use ?

5.85 ounce/yard, same weight as KR glass, so no weight gain, but large
strength gain, as well as resistance to puncturing.  This is what I used
everywhere on the plane except the tail and turtle deck.  I'd have used it
on the horizontal stabilizer, except I hadn't "discovered" it then.  It's a
good thing I didn't use it on the deck or vertical stab, as it would shield
the antenna buried inside the vertical stab.

Somebody mentioned that carbon fiber is brittle.  That's true, but the point
at which carbon fiber fails is much higher than where fiberglass fails, so
it is still a better material for the application than fiberglass.  There's
a reason there's a shortage of CF in the world right now, and it's not
because it's not a good material for building aircraft...

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
see KR2S project N56ML at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford
email to N56ML "at" hiwaay.net