Steve: So far I haven't tried it in the aircraft as it is still under
construction. I did however look into the speed problem you described =
before
purchasing the unit. The only difference between the GlobalMap 1000 and =
the
Airmap 1000 were;
1. Position of the buttons, right side for air unit and along the bottom =
for
marine.
2. Lowrance no longer sells the GlobalMap 1000 as they found that they =
could
get a lot more for it by placing the word air on the face.
3. programming. Both units use the C-Map chart base and the world base =
map
is factory installed.
4. The old marine unit used big cartridges for updates and the air unit =
uses
those little data cards that we use in digital cameras. Took some =
looking
around but I found a NOS cartridge unit as well as the cartridge to SD =
card
adapter on e-bay and bought the pair for $20.
        I now have a grand total of $100 invested in a large screen unit
that I don't need a magnifying glass to see. First time I get a chance =
hop a ride with someone I'll take her along for the ride and report back =
on
operational status. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Doug Rupert
Simcoe Ontario
drup...@sympatico.ca

It turned out that the terrestrial units had a max speed limit =
(something=20
like 50 mph).  Question is if your Airmap is the same and /or if a=20
re-program to aviation software will remedy this.

Steve J
South Africa=20

=20

--=20