From: krnet-boun...@mylist.net [mailto:krnet-boun...@mylist.net] On Behalf
Of James Wester
Sent: Monday, 15 May 2006 7:54 AM
To: kr...@mailinglists.org
Cc: KRnet
Subject: KR> BMW BOXER ( candidate ? )

Hey folks .James here . Been a lurker for several years now  .Haven't
surfaced for three or four of them !  I've been sitting on the fence "
forever "  with regards to power plant selection for the KR . Like every one
else , I've watched all types of  venders, ideas and trends come , and then
go ! About the mid nineties , Hans Mayer  ( Contact # 45 , RAA rec flyer May
1996 ) was suggesting the BMW boxer engine with one of his custom belt
drives . Heck if I was going to disagree with Hans(  !!? ) - but it did seem
like quite a stretch . Anyway Hans went on to explain that the KR only
needed   18 horses  to maintain altitude .( whoa ) Can any one explain this
? Did he mean the KR-1 , or the original KR-2 - at just over 500 lbs ?  So
why the interest in just two jugs now ? Over the years I've noted that even
the most potent  F/F installations usually don't result in cruise speeds of
much more than 130 to 140 knots ! Mark Langford , ( and every one else )
feel free to jump all over this one ! Now the new R1200S has a claimed 122
hp , and  83 lb-ft with efi .Two thirds of that hp is plenty , and as for
the so-so torque - I can think of three different  redrives that should fix
that ! I do see the potential for more leeway regarding ducting  , w / b
....maybe this is worth another look ?