From: krnet-boun...@mylist.net [mailto:krnet-boun...@mylist.net]On
Behalf Of Mark Langford
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 10:14 AM
To: KRnet
Subject: Re: KR> post mortum

Kenny W wrote:

>  Ignition issues will not lock up the eng
> in flight unless the timing gets so far outa wack that a cyl fires
while
> its
> way advanced.

I'm sure you're not saying that something like a shorted condenser wire
or
high voltage coil wire that's come loose wouldn't stop that engine
instantly, but it's sort of worded that way.   I once pulled my
"throttle"
out on crosswind since I was almost to pattern altitude, and the engine
stopped pretty much instantly.  It turns out I'd pulled the mixture out
instead of the throttle, and that's all it took to kill it, and I had no

clue as to what'd happened.  Fortunately Bill Clapp was sitting next to
me
and leaned over and stuff the mixture in and restarted it while I was
still
processing that the prop was dead in front of my face!  All of this took

about three seconds, start to finish.  With high compression and small
diameter props, if anything happens to the ignition or fuel, the prop's
going to stop pretty quick, in my experience.

I'm glad to hear that Joe's problem might not be in the bottom end...

Mark Langford, Harvest, AL
see homebuilt airplane at http://www.N56ML.com
email to N56ML "at" hiwaay.net