Guys,
        I did not get back to check the engine until this morning. I had
not touched anything before tearing into it. The prop was still in the
same position as when it stopped. I did move it a couple degrees back and
forth to verify if the crank was still connected through and it was. I
could also feel that it was going into compression on what ever firing
order it had stopped at.
        First thing I did was remove the top cover. Suspecting bearing or
connecting rod familiar. When I opened the top I was almost kind of
disappointed. There is nothing broke bent or other wise in nothing but
the pristine condition that it was in when it was originally closed up.
There is no visible sign of metal in the case or the oil reservoir. I
grabbed onto each connecting rod and tried to shake or move them. The
only motion was the side to side in parallel with the crank.
        Next I moved the prop to see if everything moved together and it
did. I could see most of the cam and lifters and they looked OK from
above. I slowly swung the prop through a half revolution and everything
continued just the way it should. Nothing at all to make a sudden stop.
        The next thought was the distributor. I pulled all the wires and
took the cap off. The rotor was at a position that was pointing towards
the opposite side of the motor ( I think at #5 but not sure right now) I
moved the prop back and forth again just a couple degrees and the rotor
moved instantly in both directions.
        The next thing I will do is pull the plugs and try to see in the
cylinders for anything. But I don't have much hope at this point of
seeing anything in the heads for a couple of reasons. I am looking for
something that caused an immediate stopping at full power. If detonation
was a factor I would think I would have found metal already somewhere. If
swallowing a valve or more I would have expected a loss of power first.
        I guess looking for some good news the replaced EIS instrument
seems to be working flawlessly just like I observed in Mark Langfords
panel. And I found where a small oil leak was coming from that had been
pestering me the past few weeks.
        Right now Just looking at the engine I would defy anyone that
didn't know it had quit from looking in there and saying looks great
Let's start it up and go fly.
        Thinking more about detonation - Would there actually be any
debris left over or would it burn up and exit the exhaust? Could it be so
quick that there would not be any signal of a problem?
        Right now I'm sitting at work and just shoot at this blindly from
what very little I think I know.
Please any and all comments. The reason that detonation has come into my
head is that I can not honestly say that I remember making sure that I
was full rich at the start of the take off roll.
Thanks,
Joe Horton, Coopersburg, PA.
joe.kr2s.buil...@juno.com