Mark is right where it concerns ANY prohibition in an enclosed structure.
Brian, I have no problem with a man building for his own education, and
learning, even if it is visible. But admittedly you are working on more than
one project, and (not taking sides) unfortunately that puts your case into the
realm of business, and not personal.

If an individual has ANY kind of enclosure, either temporary or permanent, in
which to work, and prudently makes "noise" during acceptable hours, then he
should be allowed to follow his pursuit. As Mark pointed out, and I am in
agreement with, though my initial over generalization did not indicate, the
part of the law that we should be challenging is the part quoted which DOES
restrict our civil liberties. That is your platform Brian, and anyone else who
wishes to take this to another level.  BUT, I am sorry if I offend or
contradict, but in plain sight is bad, from the City's point of view, and I
have to agree with it.  If I were next door, I would not want 5 planes worth of
parts under a tarp, taking away from value. I have one complete fuselage, being
modified. That is a far cry from their gripe about mulitples.  I believe in all
that we do, and support it all. BUT, we must be careful and make sure that the
parts that are valid in their complaint are complied with and the parts that
are, such as limiting with an enclosure be struck down.

I would encourage an appeal in the Federal Court System, and base it on a civil
rights violation where the wording contains the parts, "Repairing, testing,
operation, constructing, modifying or altering flying craft and airboats shall
be prohibited in all residential districts..." and make them change the wording
of the law to only restrict the parts that agree with code violations identical
to that of cars and trucks. Then you are only limited to what is out in the
open.

If it came down to it, and I was complained on, I am prepared to enclose my
awning to become an enclosed garage. Then I should be allowed to do whatever,
so long as it does not endanger human life (the only other good reason to
prohibit).

Please do not mis-understand: I am not saying Brian or any one else is wrong.
BUT, if what you are doing, falls into the criteria of code violation, those
laws have been in effect for many years and have been affirmed by courts all
over the US.  Instead of needless expensive court battles to prove nothing,
find out what to do to comply with code, and then do it. I have been given
temporary permission by my subdivision HOA committee, so I made before hand
that it was okay. If that is ever recended, then I move to plan B. The only way
to beat this is to amend the law to allow for the responsible repair and
maintenance, and construction in an acceptable way to the city. That is why
AOPA nor EAA will enter the fight. It cannot be won if your goal is to have the
whole law struck down. Challenge the part I quoted from Mark Langford and you
have a leg to stand on.  Otherwise it falls too easily into the category of
code violation, and like it or not they will win! There is too much court
precedence and enforcement to support them to repeal it.

I am just trying to convey to everyone how they work, how they will win, and
what you can do to challenge.  Fight the good fight.  Don't just take on city
hall for kicks or because you have a bone to pick.  It is only your rights
until it adversely effects someone else.  Everyone is too hung up on what I
want and what I want to do.  Basic tort law supports that the moment your
pursuits have a negative effect on another person, they have a right to seek
damages. In this case it is the city and their balance of property rights.
Just because you own a piece of land, you cannot do any old thing you want to
with it.  I know that hurts but it is true.  Everyone's feelings are valid and
admirable. But they must be directed to the parts of the law that are wrong and
have it amended to allow freedom with an enclosure.

Colin
N96TA