At 08:47 AM 8/18/2006, you wrote:
>I am considering adding flaps to my KR2 at a later stage, and the time is
>right to make provisions for them. I'm looking at something easy to
>retro-fit. Now, I have seen pictures of an Australian-built KR2 which has
>got what I believe is called split flaps (just the lower skin drops,
>rather than the whole profile). I wonder which design would be more
>efficient, aerodynamically speaking? That one, or the one described in the
>plans? Also, considering this spans only the width of the stubwings, can
>you really expect any significant change?

google flaps. There is a lot of info available to answer your
questions. Short answer, small reduction in stalling speed, but
effective as a speed brake (drag inducer).

one reference included:
In 1920, Orville Wright and J. M. H. Jacobs invented the split flap,
which consisted of a hinged section on the trailing edge of the
underside of the wing. The split flap was simple and also had the
benefit of increasing drag, which helped a pilot descend toward the
runway at a steeper rate than current wings would allow and thus made
landing approaches easier.

Larry Severson
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 968-9852