Hi Brian,
  After my post the other day I talked to one of the engineers and asked him to
explain things a little more clearly for me.
  He said that when you plasma cut material the thickness like our WAFS that
the HEAT AFFECTED ZONE is less than 1/16 of an inch around the edges. Yes the
edges are hardened slightly as you stated. He said that it should not matter on
parts like ours but that if a guy was worried about it that you could take a
torch if you have one and heat the parts up to where they were just turning
blue which would be in the 600 to 800 degree range for about 10 seconds and
then just let air cool and they would be fine or bring up to the same temp in
an oven as you have said you have done. Their holes are typically punched with
hydraulic presses. The same people made my WAFS.
  Larry H.

Brian Kraut <brian.kr...@engalt.com> wrote:
  I am not a structural or materials engineer. I design electronics. I would
think that engineers working for an aircraft manufacturing company would
know more about it than I do, BUT it sounds a little fishy to me. They may
be doing the equivalent of shot peening, but as far as I know that is only a
stress relieving treatment and will not change the hardness and therefore
the brittleness of the metal. Of course a lot of what is acceptable and
what is not depends on the safey factor that is designed into the part to
begin with. There are also different methods of plasma cutting using oxygen
or nitrogen and they do not each leave the same edge on the part.

It all boils down to my stock answer. If you don't know for sure that it is
O.K. then use a method that you know is O.K.

Brian Kraut
Engineering Alternatives, Inc.
www.engalt.com