You have the right idea,I read Bill Rents page on KRnet about taxing his
KR-1 for ten hoursbefore he flew it but he flew it for more than Twenty
years, having a lot of fun. I had started one in the early seventies but
my friends said i would kill myself in it so I sold the project and lost
twenty years of fun. just make sure you have the pitch feel wit the tail
up before you fly and you  will be OK.
Jim