Serge Wrote:
Hi, Mike.

My (very biased) advice is: if you can locate a Type 4, forget the Types
1, 2 and 3. The Type 4 is an extensive redesign, solved most of the
reliability problems of the preious ones, the case was built in a better
alloy. Only problem is to find one, because much less Type 4 were
produced.

Just to add to this, I have been led to believe that the heads on the 1700
are of better quality than the 2000 as the 2000 heads had a reputation for
dropping valves. They can be identified by the shape of their exhaust ports.
One has a round port and the other has a semi rectangular port. I think the
round ones belong on the 2000 but I am not certain.

Regards
Dene Collett
KR2SRT builder
South africa