I know for a fact you can "hand prop" a Briggs & Stratton push lawn mower quite
easily.  Never mind how I know that.  Just believe me it is very easy to do.

Kevin.

-----Original Message-----
From: av...@telkomsa.net
To: kr...@mylist.net
Sent: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:01 PM
Subject: Re: KR> "lawnmower" ignition

Brian
The aerovee lawnmower ignition has no method of advance at all. They use it
as the backup ignition to the electronic unit which also has no advance but
will produce a spark at low revs. I have a friend who recently had the
electronic unit fail and in the process of finding the fault cranked the
battery down to a point where it would no longet turn the motor over. Trying
to prop start it on the mag system was futile as he just couldn't spin it
fast enough to make it produce any spark. It aparently needs somewhere
around 300rpm.
We have just gone through this whole ignition thing on corvaircraft but I
will risk it again. Take a look at the system that is installed on Serge's
plane. It is a simple transistor controlled coil ignition triggered by an
inductive pick up. It also sports a ready made centrifugal advance
mechanism. This system has been used here by many builders and has been
proven during more than 1500 hours of flight without a single failure on VW
motors as well as a honda auto conversion. It does need a 12V supply though.
Take a look at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/corvair/ignition/dene/
Regards
Dene Collett
KR2SRT builder