At 10:13 PM 12/10/2006, you wrote:
>I did some adjusting on my tailwheel cables yesterday, removing all slack,
>and I have no springs.  The tailwheel and rudder are basically locked
>together (except it's a breakaway tailwheel), but I only have 32 pounds on
>the tailwheel with no pilot anyway.  This is really the ticket to having
>total control.  I feel a lot more in tune with it now than I did with slack
>in the cables.  Now it does exactly what I tell it to do.
>Mark Langford,

There are two schools of thought on the tailwheel cables.  Some
will swear there needs to be some slack and others want them
tight.  I agree with Mark and my cables have little, if any, slack.
I went with springs on the tailwheel attach to help with any
side load forces on the tailwheel as when the tailwheel touches
down when not aligned with the direction of travel or hits a rough
spot while in a turn on taxi.  I'm hoping this reduces some of the
strain placed on the cables.  With the cables tight, my KR reacts
the same to rudder input with the tail up or down.  There doesn't
seem to be any transition between the two.  My KR, with the 24 inch
longer fuselage and 8 foot wide gear, is such a pussycat on the
ground that I think any pilot that flies a tri-gear CORRECTLY could
take off and land it without tailwheel training.  With 265 hours on
the hobbs I don't even think of it as being a "tailwheel" airplane
any more.

Larry Flesner