> Spend the extra money and get the Icom IC-A23.  You will be much
> happier.  I have used mine in the KR all over the USA and never have had
> any problems.  They have great customer service as well if you do have
> any issues.  They are very helpful with phone support as well.
>
> Before I bought my 23 and 23 sport, I asked the guys at will call at the
> Calif. Spruce what their experience had been.  I was told the others are
> returned quite a bit more often than the Icom.  Just my .02.

The Icom radio performs really well as a radio, but what a pest to drive,
I hate the fiddly key sequences to try and programme in a frequency, or
even to manually set the frequency. When things go pear-shaped, fiddling
with the Icom is not fun !

On the Icom web site, it says that there is a PC link for the programming
the radio. All their scanners are computer tunable, and some of the older
high-end transceivers can also be computer drivable, which makes sense. So
I figured that they must test the radio via this computer interface -
which uses the tip, ring and sleeve of the audio jack as a low speed
RS232.

I thought it would be really cool to be able to integrate the radio with
the laptop based GPS, just click on the map, and bingo the radio gets
tuned.

So I contacted Icom to get the info on how to do it and they deny that the
feature exists.

Drat, drat, drat