Myron (Dan) Freeman wrote:

>> I made a discovery today that many of you may already be aware of. I'm
planning on using the AS-5046 airfoil on my new wings (I'm replacing the
RAF- 48 airfoil) and I noticed that with an incidence of +1.75 degrees on
the root wing airfoil and a washout of 3 degrees on the outer wing panel as
per plans that this will cause the wing tips to be in a negitive lift
condition (actually pulling down on the wing at high speed), so I'm reducing
the washout to 2 degrees which will be about neutral only at high speed and
might reduce drag. Just some more food for thought.<<

That airfoil (and many others) is still generating lift even at a chord line
incidence of less than zero.  The washout of the AS5046 as it relates to the
KR was carefully optimized by Mark Lougheed, and peer review at the time
(including the airfoil's designer) held that it was certainly close enough
for KR work.

A recent "Wind Tunnel" article in Kitplanes reminded experimental builders
not to reduce washout without serious consideration, as stall
characteristics can suffer dramatically compared to the minimal performance
increase.  Also, if you reduce the washout by 1 degree, you're probably
going to go nose up about a half a degree.  Personally, if I changed
anything it'd be to LOWER the incidence by a half a degree at both root and
tip, because I find myself cruising at high altitudes in a nose up condition
during most of my cross country flying...

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
see KR2S project N56ML at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford
email to N56ML "at" hiwaay.net