Bobby,

The retractable gear has had a bad reputation in the KR over the years.  The
original design had problems folding up on landing.  There have been better
ones designed recently and if you really have your heart set on retractable you
should research these.  You will get alot of different opinions on this subject
and they can get emotional.  My take is this:

It is arguable whether you can really go faster with a retractable set up over
a conventional tail dragger set up that has been well faired.  In this category
of airplane I do not think a retractable gear is the best choice because of its
weight and complexity.

The Tail dragger might be your best choice if you really want the fastest
plane, lightest plane, but understand it is more about the pilot than the
plane's configuration.  You must be willing to learn to be a skilled
conventional gear pilot. (You may already be) You have to fly the plane from
hanger to hanger. Landing in unusual conditions--gusty/ cross winds are more
challenging in a tail dragger.

The tri-gear could be argued to be safer as they are a bit more forgiving.  I
know I will get argument on that statement, but it really takes talent,
dedication and practice to consestently make 'good' landings on conventional
gear.  However, that wheel hanging out front is going to cost you some weight
and some speed.

I know this is one of the fundemental decisions about your building options.
It is petty cool that you can build it anyway you want though, isn't it?

bobby burington <bobbycrea...@yahoo.com> wrote: Hello,

I see from the construction photos that it looks like most builders are using
the fixed tri gear up front and not the retractable .  Wouldn't the retractable
gear increase the speed of the aircraft ?.