Glenn Martin wrote:

>    In this step, prior to laying up the outer layer of CF, I will put a
> crosshatch of 3/4" wide Vee grooves in the outer layer of foam, and then
> fill those grooves with a layer of CF, which would form a grid of
> reinforcing angles UNDER the outer skin when that is applied. It seems
> like
> a reasonable extra bit of work to do for some extra peace of mind.
>    How do those idea sound to my fellow netters, particularly you Mark L?

That sounds like a two year penalty with regards to flying!  Don't forget
that fabric covered airplanes aren't exactly "stout", and they fly just
fine.  Just between you and me, I have about two square feet of lower wing
that's pure mush because my right wheel pant got ripped off and stuffed into
it when I landed 20 yards short of the runway on my second crank break.
I've been flying it that way for nine months now, although I plan to fix it
over the winter, if I can quit flying for long enough.

It sounds like you have wings now.  It's difficult to say without seeing it,
but I'd be tempted to finish it and fly it.  Now if you want a show plane
(and it won't stay that way for long) and don't mind spending a few extra
years on it, that may be the way to go.  It's your plane and your decision,
but a lot of heavy planes got that way for "extra peace of mind"...

Mark Langford, Huntsville, AL
mail: N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
website: www.N56ML.com