it looks like the 555 timer sets the time base for voltage "stepup
coil".  Some call this thing a kickback regulator.  The cool thing about
those is the same circuit can develop any voltage either above or below
the supply voltage.  it looks like trigger timing is adjustable, but  no
mention of how adjustable (the range is unknown, and no, I did not even
try to calculate it).
this one is the better one so far due to the circuit board layout is
done already (THAT is the BIG timesaver)..

jg