From: jscott.pi...@juno.com <jscott.pi...@juno.com>
Subject: Re: KR> RE: vinyester vs polyester
To: kr...@mylist.net
Date: Friday, October 2, 2009, 2:33 PM

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 17:46:07 +1000 "Phillip Matheson"
<phillipmathe...@bigpond.com> writes:
> Fred,
>
> Polyester should work just fine.  That's what Piper used to build
> the tip
> tanks on the Cherokee 235 and Cherokee 6.  Polyester has it's
> difficulties
> in certain applications, but it works quite well for a fuel tank.

> DO NOT USE Polyester!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Do you REALLY want to take the

> chance?????
>
> DO a test yourself and let us know your results!!!!!!!!!
> put some polyester in some avgas and ULP.
>
> I would only USE Vinyl Ester. ( not Epoxy)  unless the manufacture says
it's
> OK. not someone else.
>
> Too many people have had problems with epoxy, I have seen what
> leaking tanks
> on a Lancair does.. NOT good.
>

> Phil Matheson

-----------------------

Wow!  That's a lot of exclaimation points and question marks.  The
question posed seemed to be simple enough.
"Can anyone tell me if Polyester will work on a fuel tank application? "
I'll stand by my answer.  Yes it will, and there are tens of thousands of
Cherokees flying around with Polyester tip tanks as flying proof.  Many
have been in service since long before Ken and Stu dreamed up the KR
aircraft.  Apparently some of you have testing data that you should share
with Piper and the FAA that demonstrates otherwise?

Later, a second question was posed about the tolerance of Polyester tanks
to Alcohol fuels.  My answer was that I don't know.  Piper didn't test
alcohol in their tanks as Alcohol contaminated fuels are not recommended
(or allowed) by either Piper or the FAA.  Consequently, I have no
knowledge of specific long term testing data.  I've only heard third and
fourth hand anecdotal information on the internet, which I don't consider
to be particularly reliable data.

Would I really want to take the same chances with my tanks as a Piper
Cherokee?  Simple answer.  "Yes."  However, I would not use alcohol
contaminated fuels in my aircraft, whether the tanks were up to it or
not.

The original post didn't ask for a recommendation, which is why I didn't
make one.

Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM
N1213W