Dan Heath wrote:

> Where is your favourite site to get the 11x4-5.00 tires for the stock KR
> wheel.  I think this is or was a Matco.

I wondered about 8 ply tires, went to www.aircraftspruce.com and keyed in
"Lamb tire", and immediately was staring at 6 and 8 ply Lamb tires.  I've
ordered two 8 ply tires for next time.  By comparison, the
www.wicksaircraft.com  site shows nothing for "Lamb tire", and even just
"tire" doesn't get you much, mostly everything BUT tires.  It does work for
"cheng tire", but only shows one, and it's not a 11x4-5.00, even though I
know they sell them.  Very frustrating website, and all but useless. They
apparently don't realize how important a functional website is to their
business.  I've learned that I can beat my head against their website for
ten minutes and leave frustrated, and then have my order executed about a
minute later with AS&S.  I've been a Wicks fan forever, and deliberately
paid more for Wicks items over many years, but the website ended that for
me.

There are probably other sources for these, and anybody that knows of them
is welcome to post them.  There are other 11x4-5.00 tires out there, but the
tread patterns are probably more conducive to gaining traction to mow lawns,
rather than maintaining directional stability down a runway.  Then again, it
may not make any real difference.

But the main reason I'm replying again to this is to mention tubes.  I've
been buying Larin tubes from Fleet Farm or somewhere like that.  They are
considerably heavier than the tubes you get from AS&S and Wicks.  Since I
started using these tubes and spreading loads of talcum powder inside the
tures and on the tubes during installation, I've had zero flat tires.  It's
only a couple of ounces of weight per tube, but that's one place I don't
mind carrying extra weight.

The Aero Classic tires are about twice the price of the Cheng Shins, but
maybe they'll last twice as long, for all I know.  They both appear to be 8
ply though.  I notice even Van's sells the 11x4-5.00 as a nose wheel tire,
but it's more expensive than AS&S, at $21 rather than $17.50.

I average about 400 of my very sloppy landings on each pair of these tires,
so in the grand scheme of things, I don't mind spending $40 to swap them out
every year or so.

Mark Langford
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
website at http://www.N56ML.com