Mark,

I did mean same airfoil, just thinner profile out to the tip. Like say 18%
at the root and 14% or thinner at the tip. All the same chord. The drag at
the root would be slightly higher but would the lift be slightly greater
also because of the thickness?

You are correct, the AS is as good an airfoil as you could design based on
the flight parameters of the KR.

Fred Johnson
Reno, NV

Mark L Wrote:

Well apparently you're talking about a different airfoil root to tip so the
answer would be "that depends".  Obviously the thickness ratio will have to
get smaller if it's tapered going out, while retaining the same chord
length.   If the two airfoils are from the same family and the lift
coefficients are anywhere near each other, the answer is almost certainly
"no washout required".  I suppose it's possible you could have two
completely different airfoils and the one out on the tip is creating lots
more lift than the inboard, but you'd have to try pretty hard to find that
combination and screw it up that bad.

As you mentioned before though, you'd be hard pressed to improve on an
airfoil designed by one of the leading airfoil experts specifically for the
KR2S.  See http://www.krnet.org/as504x/ for details on that.