If I may...
---------------------------------------
Fred: "(if) a barn door no taper wing doesn't require washout,"

Old Piper Hershey-bar wings I've looked at have washout.   Which ones are you
referring to that don't 'need' washout?     Washout is one strategy to helping
the root stall before the tip.   Hershey-bars aren't immune from this need.
Fred: "(what would a no taper wing need if it just changes thickness from root
to tip but not chord?"

It's long been my understanding,  an alternative to washout for almost any
(general aviation, Hershey-bar or tapered) wing would be to have the
chord/thickness ratio become 'fatter' as you near the tip, not thinner.   This
allows the tip to keep flying while the root stalls.   Seems I first heard
about this approach from the BD-5, which had a tapered wing.

(I could sure go for a Hershey-bar now)

Tom