Dan Heath wrote:

> Now, I am really having to give more thought to adding another 80+ pounds
> for the
> Corvair engine that Roy is building for me?????

Dan, first off, I think it's probably only about 60 pounds rather than 80,
because the Corvair with everything firewall forwarded needed to fly (except
the mount and prop) is only about 245-250 pounds.  It'd be interesting to
hear that number for your VW when you remove it. But if you get 50% more
power in an airplane by only adding 10% more weight, I don't see how you
could go wrong, other than fuel a slight increase in consumption (given the
same speed).

Maybe I have no credibility saying this, as I've never owned a lightweight
KR with a VW engine in it, but I think having all that power of a Corvair
out front makes the KR a LOT of fun!  The extra power you get, as well as
the safety of 6 cylinders, makes up for a lot of sins in the weight
department.  To me the engine weight isn't a factor when talking about
fun-weight-ratio of having lots more power, whether it's from a Corvair or
something else. That's one of the few things I disagree with in that
article.  My guess is that Neil never flew behind a Corvair either.

Having said that, Roy Marsh could do 191 mph on a turbo VW.  I'd have to dig
up that article to see what his empty weight was...

Mark Langford
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
website at http://www.N56ML.com