Well I can't speak for everyone, but metal lines tend to stay where they
are, and look cleaner and generally weigh less, I use a combonation of the
two, where I need flexiblity or there will be alot of vibration I use steel
braided rubber lines (AN fittings of course). I've used barbed fittings in
the past and I really hate them, I've had lines slip off, I've had it where
(to prevent slip off) i've dug into the rubber, they generally have not been
a good clean experence.

Also another note, some of us run EFI systems, and requrie lines that can
take more pressure, getting flexible lines running everywhere that can take
the pressure, weighs alot more then a simple alumn tube. Plus you are NOT
using no barbed end with EFI system, thats like asking for trouble!!

Though due to costs I can understand the desire to go barbed.

I went AN for even my radiator hose on my BD-4 LOL, got some fittings
epoxyed into the radiator and welded on to other fittings of the motor,
makes it easy to connect/disconnect the lines.

Joe