Hi Dene,

I think you hit the important points and, without saying it, know that this
is yet another of the many "scary old tales" that exist in aviation.

I have flown five different engines in my two homebuilts (something around
1000 hours combined) and I have never had any problems with rubber hose and
barb fittings - nor the FAA about those hoses/fittings.  On my EFI
installation, I use rubber hose made for high-pressure use and double
Oetiker clamps (and, of course, fire sleeve).

I agree that the barb fittings make removal difficult/impossible so when I
have to remove it, I usually replace the hose. For some sections, this is at
annual when fuel filters are replaced.

I would like to have braided steel lines because they look so neat but the
added cost is not worth it to me (something around $500 for my EFI
installation).  Particularly when the only fuel line related accidents that
I have personally seen have involved braided steel lines. Understand, that
is not an accident study - just my observations.  I suspect a fire-sleeved,
braided steel hose will probably last longer under a "direct fire" scenario.
In reality, I wonder if that means anything (the guy with the rubber hose is
on fire 5 minutes before the braided steel guy but neither of them had any
warning so both are in the same pickle) - probably one of a thousand
scenarios that a person could lean on.

Jon Finley
N314JF - Q2 - Subaru EJ-22
http://www.finleyweb.net/Q2Subaru.aspx