I've been reading articles about selecting and testing wood. Lots of good info.
Besides Sitka Spruce, Port Orford Cedar, Alaskan Yellow Cedar and Hemlock are
rated as good choices for airplanes. In fact, Eugene Parker wrote an article
for
EAA in 1984(?) in which he ranked Sitka Spruce 3rd in his list of best wood for
airplanes, POC was number one, AYC was two. Googling POC comes up with
BearCreekLumber.com. They're a half day's drive from me and quoted Sitka Spruce
to be 25% more expensive than any of the other three. But this isn't mil-spec
lumber. As I understand it, they can get very nice wood, but it would be up to
me to inspect and test it. I read on this board  how Harold Woods suggests
going
about testing each piece by getting them a bit overwidth, ripping a piece the
full length of the board on both edges, and testing those pieces. Sounds
straight forward, but does that mean it's as good as mil spec 6073?

So if I buy from ACS or Wicks, I'll get mil spec 6073, which means that some
knowledgeable person thought this wood would be okay in an airplane. And if I
buy this mil spec wood, do I still need to go through all the elaborate
testing?
If so, I'd end up with skinnier than called for wood, assuming they sell it in
the exact width called for.

I'm all for saving money and it would be neat to build with POC, if it's really
top of the line. But I'm concerned that I may not be able to guarantee, even by
inspection and testing, that this uncertified wood is as good or better than
what a professional inspector has already deemed mil spec 6073 worthy. I've
never inspected wood in this manner and don't know how reliable my tests would
be. If buying certified wood removes all doubt about it's quality, the several
hundred dollars extra I'd pay for this may be worth it.

How did you guys go about buying, inspecting, and testing your wood?

Thanks,
Dan