At 05:55 PM 1/21/2011, you wrote:
>    Back to the original question, which had to do with the merits  or
>detriments of using a header tank and flying around with fuel in
>front of  you.

certainly everyone has their own level of comfort when it comes to
safety considerations.  Most of us consider an auto crash is a
distinct possibility so we wear a safety belt to increase our odds of
survival.  When flying, any time I'm moving faster than say 20 mph, I
consider a crash with injuries is a possibility.  To increase my
chances of reduced injury I wear a seat belt with shoulder straps, I
use a fixed windshield with a bow structure and also a turtle deck
bow for additional rollover protection.  I've also removed all fuel
tanks from the cockpit and placed them as far from the fuselage as
possible.  These steps are all in an effort to raise my comfort level
when flying.

Yes, airplanes have flown for years with fuel in the fuselage, pilots
have flown with lap belts only, and some aircraft have only a large
bubble of Plexiglass for rollover protection.  I simply took steps to
raise my own level of comfort.  Can we eliminate all risk. NO. To
each his own.  Go fly and enjoy it...........

Larry Flesner