Hello All,

Next month I'll start cutting wing spars for a KR2S, and now I'm doing
my usual last-minute dithering between different options when I have to
make important decisions.  I'll have enough wood to construct 5048-15
airfoil spars.

Since I might ultimately go with a smaller engine, I'm going to be hyper
weight-conscious in every decision I make.  I think I understand the
advantages of the 5048 airfoil (strength, efficiency, more gas in the
wings if you want it), but I'm wondering whether the total weight of the
thicker wing (more wood, more glass, more glue etc.) is something worth
thinking about for someone who wants things light.  I have no experience
regarding the weights of the materials I'll be using.   I know the 5046
is generally used by people who have already built stock RAF48 wings,
but would the 5046 wings also be lighter than the 5048 in any
significant way?

I know it's difficult if not impossible to compare since so many other
factors are involved in performance, but I'd also be very interested if
someone who has flown planes with both 5046 and 5048 airfoils could give
me their subjective "general feel" impressions of any differences
between the two (takeoff, climb, cruise, approach, stall etc.) if any
were noticeable and could reasonably be attributed to the different
airfoils.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

-Seth Jersild in Illinois