From: "joe.kr2s.buil...@juno.com" <joe.kr2s.buil...@juno.com>
To: kr...@mylist.net
Subject: Fw: KR> Fuel filler and caps venting
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 19:29:45 GMT

Steve,If you want to it keep simple run the top vent over board and don't worry
about fuel loss. I have a vent that is forward facing out the side of the
fuselage. I can not see when I am sending fuel over board but I know I have. I
usually fly an hour and run the pump 20min to refill. I only forget when I get
busy with something else like airspace or radio, In 5 years I have not lost
more than 5 gal. I have a indicator light on the panel to know when the pump is
runnning. I have a little thought about the tank level switches. I have a light
for low level warning off a float switch. It is unreliable. Putting a switch in
line to turn off the pump automaticly gives a failure location that you didn't
have(shutting the pump off when you need it).Perhaps the most fool proof is the
pump with a recirculating line running all the time from one tank to the other
Keeping the headeer full until there is no fuel to transfer. Some how I still
favor transfering the  fuel on demand when I want to and not depending on any
automation. Some day when I do it all over I will install a much smaller header
tank, larger wing tanks with the recirculaton piping and pump. This would get
less fuel in my lap and more room behind  the panel, less CG change and still
be gravity feed to the engine. About the best solution in my world.More than
you asked for but worth every bit of what  you paid for it.Good luckJoe Horton