Russ Houck wrote:

>>I have a WW built corvair that was built about 5 years ago. It is still
>>new, never installed. It does not have the additional bearing. I have a 3
>>blade Warp Drive prop which requires no extension. How much would it cost
>>to send it back or have the addition bearing put on and is it worth it? <<

Yes, you definitely need a fifth bearing on a Corvair engine!  Dan Weseman
makes the least expensive bearing alternative.  See
http://fly5thbearing.com/5thbearing.html for details.  I think it's about a
thousand dollars, and can be installed "in the field".  You also need to
find out if that crankshaft was nitrded, as that's also very important to
the life of the crankshaft. See
http://www.n56ml.com/corvair/flexplate/problem.html for more details on why
it's vital.  I've broken two Corvair crankshafts in flight.   It's real, and
it happens at the worst possible time, climbout.

I'd also consider trading in that Warp Drive prop for a wooden prop such as
a Sensenich. See http://www.krnet.org/kr-info.html for a lot of info on KR
engine and prop information, and what's working for people. The Warp Drive
works, but a wooden prop is lighter, can be more efficient, and is less
likely to contribute to crank failure, juddging by VW experience.

You should consider joining the CorvAircraft list.  See
http://www.corvaircraft.org/ for how to join...

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
website www.n56ml.com