From: krnet-boun...@mylist.net [mailto:krnet-boun...@mylist.net] On Behalf
Of Peter Diffey
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 5:17 PM
To: KRnet
Subject: Re: KR> Flap and belly board combination.

Hi,

I am no expert, but as far as I can figure, a belly board will increase drag
but will not increase lift, so will not allow a lower landing speed.

The belly board drag will allow a steaper approach, it will also help you
bleed off speed during the roll out.

Whether the kr2 flaps have any significant effect on stall speed is a moot
point, I doubt if anybody has done any design analysis.

Looking at the flaps on my std kr2 I doubt if they do much to stall speed.

The easiest way to keep down the safe landing speed is to build light - I
thought hemlock was a sort of poison :)

Pete

Rodger Nicolls <bandenok...@gmail.com> wrote:

Phil and Larry,
Thank you for the replies. I am looking at dropping the stall/landing speed,
increasing the visibility, and contending with a heavier empty weight (using
hemlock, 10% heavier than spruce, with extended fuselage). I have moved the
controls in front of the rear spar and plan to use the entire area behind
the spar for the flaps.
On anther note: I completed building my gear legs: 50 layers S-glass-BID and
38 layers S-glass-UNI, with a total compressed/cured thickness of .80". Now
I just need to get the mount welded.

If anyone is interested in the story (with pictures) of an experimental Cub
being destroyed by a calving glacier, let me know and I'll forward those to
you. It's a shame that after spending all that time on a lovely project to
see it lost in a matter of seconds.

I will continue to build.
Thanks,
Rodger