Thanks to everyone who's replied so far.... Collective responses below.

1) Engine ID: Photos are here:
http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x198/dcacklam/KR2%20Pics/Engine/
Diehl case, SuperCarb....  Plane was built in 1986, IIRC there were more
folks in business making aero-VW motors back then...

2) Gear: I've already bought the Diehl nose-gear kit. The
'reverse-the-mains' thing is just my attempt to save some time & money
by re-using the existing gear (but making it fixed, not retract) & the
existing holes in the spar. If that can't be done, I'll buy Mr Root's
set of (assembled) Diehl mains that he's selling here. The entire
tailwheel assembly comes off today & the steering cables will be cut off
of the rudder cables....

3) Longerons/crosspiece/etc:

No, he didn't drill or screw into the longerons to put that brace there
- it's glued with triangular blocks at each corner. The only
penetrations of wood in the cockpit area, are the hinge for the canopy,
and 2 angles used to fasten the instrument panel  to the 'boat'. Both of
these are into the 'inner' strip of longeron wood (the longerons on this
perticular plane are constructed of 2 pieces of bent wood glued together
side-by-side, and all of the hardware penetrations go into the inner
one, with the outer left in tact).

I don't know if this is 'standard' KR or not, but on this plane the
entire upper-nose section (windscreen, fuel tank, panel - everything
above the 'boat' in front of the pilot) is DETATCHABLE - it's held in by
3 nut-plates on either side (mounted to the skin (with aluminum backing
plates), not the longerons). Hence I assumed that the brace was
structural & part of the design (and thus something that needs to be
preserved).

4) Avionics - the MGL radios nVAero sells are in fact quite nice, but a
bit out of my price range for now...  My immediate goal is to get the
plane safe & airworthy enough to ferry it home from FLA (so I can stop
paying $70/mo in storage fees, and so I have access to the tools &
facilities where I live (A/o whatever I can rig up in the uhaul
yard)....  A functional 720ch analog nav/com (as backup to the EFIS GPS)
& the EFIS will accomplish this for me. That said, if I had the money &
the plane was in my garage vs the uhaul lot, I'd have an MGL panel...

5) Glass/foam repair - Epoxy Resin it is... Which means boat store,
around here...
As for what to do to fix the damage, I do have some experience with that
thanks to my prior MOS (airframe mechanic) - it's just a matter of
figuring out what materials & specific requirements the KR has... When I
did this in the Army, we had TMs for each aircraft to tell us what was
repairable & how to do it... Here? You guys (the experienced builders)
are the TM (esp since this bird didn't come with it's RR plans/manual,
and you all are far more used to working with wood/foam than I am)...

The expanding foam is something I came up with as the best 'in place'
filler for the punched-out section of rudder (it's a 3.5"x1.5" area of
damage on the bottom right side of the rudder, from improper
trailer-loading - cloth/resin is torn open & there is some damage to the
underlying foam (does not seem to be any wood structure in the area -
just foam/glass). Plan is to fill the foam damage with expanding foam,
clamp over with wax-paper (as a peel-ply) & a plywood backer, let cure,
then glass over the foam repair once it is no longer expanding.

I am involved with my local EAA chapter - I have another project (T-40AS
- all wood, Lycoming powered) that I've been working on before this - I
just picked up this KR because it's alot closer to 'flyable' (and alot
easier to store, not being Cessna-sized) than said long-term project.
But that's back home, not in FL.