I did the nose gear strut today - and a bunch of other stuff that had to
be done to make room: the existing exhaust had to go, but it was a very
poor (read: fire hazard) design, so no loss there (although I plan to
use the parts I cut up to make a new exhaust), and a few other things
too - but all of it was stuff that 'had to go' anyway.... It's also much
easier to install/remove engine mount bolts when you have a
cherry-picker....

With that done, it has become apparent that the stock retracts are
useless for anything but the stock gear configuration (as you said) -
specifically, even at 'minimum height', the nose-gear is too tall (to
the point where with wheel & tire, you would be sitting in a
tail-dragger ground attitude, on tri-gear . I'm buying Diehl mains from
another member, and will be using those instead.

As for patching holes, if I use foam sheets for my replacement core
material, what kind should I use? Will foam-board insulation work? I

I cut away the de-laminated skin on the elevator, and found a curious
mix of a somewhat light/fragile yellow foam (similar to what the rest of
this plane is made of, and one small area of what can only be described
as packing-material style white styrofoam (although it looked sprayed
in).... Yeuck....

At this point, I plan on taking the board's advice, and doing a
core-replacement patch with solid sheets rather than a fill-patch with
Great Stuff....

I just need to know what type of foam to use, or if it makes a
difference (the pink wall-insulation sheets are the first thing that
came to my mind as a source of foam - and there's a Home Depot right by
where I'm working on the plane)....

Epoxy resin & glass-cloth I can get from any of the boat supply stores
in the area (Gulf Coast of FL - no shortage of boat shops)....

- Dave