Derek Lewis wrote:

>Has anyone checked their engine compartment temp?

My EIS monitored my undercowl temperature while flying for about 500 hours,
and it was usually about 20F degrees hotter than ambient.  The high temps
result from parking the plane (which almost always happens sooner or later),
and then it can climb to 180F or more in the summer, depending on cowling
design, and even heat gain from dark colored paint.  My battery is mounted
on the cabin side of the firewall, and works fine that way, but that's only
possible if you have easy access to it like I do.  Insulating the box
probably won't help much, as the heat soak from being parked will eventually
get through.  But most batteries are on the forward side of the firewall and
it works....

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
website at http://www.N56ML.com