From: krnet-boun...@mylist.net [mailto:krnet-boun...@mylist.net] On Behalf
Of Mark Langford
Sent: Tuesday, 16 October 2012 11:03 AM
To: KRnet
Subject: KR> fuel tank sight gauge tubing?

KRnetHeads,

It's been kind of quiet today, so let me throw this one out there.  When I
bought N891JF, the sight tube was discolored due to age to the point that I
could barely see through it.  I updated it with new tubing from McMaster
Carr, Tygon F-4040-A, which is what was used originally.  The problem is
this tubing is extremely yellow, and it wipes out the blue dye in the 100LL
fuel to the point that it's like water.  You can only see the dividing line
(miniscus) of the fuel level, and that takes some searching most of the
time.  The easy solution would be to put a little ball of some sort in the
tubing, and it would have to be 3/16" or smaller to freely float to the
surface.  Anybody have an idea on a source for something that would work for
that job?  Another option (but not as attractive as the floating ball) would
be a clear tubing that's proven to work with fuel.  Any ideas?

Having seen three fuel level sensors fail on N56ML, I'm already a big fan of
the sight tube thing, although it does mean "fuel in the cockpit".

Before I hit the "send" button, it occurred to me...a cheapo electrolyte
hydrometer would probably offer some balls that would work, but that remains
to be seen (yes I would look up the density before I wasted the $3).  Any
other options?

Thanks,

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com