I guess I am not the only one that noticed how low this guy came in over the
threshold. In watching the video it looked like he was going to come up short
of the runway. I am not sure if maybe the runway was very short and it was his
way of doing a short field landing but, it appeared to me that considering how
close the vehicle was to the runway approach, that normally an aircraft would
have never struck that vehicle.

I have twice came in on final and had deer come out on the runway. Each time I
had a steep enough approach and a bit of luck and was able to apply power and
avoid a collision and go around. I even once struck a Goose on short final at
night and it was only because of luck and a decision to just hold my approach
and not panic that allowed me to land safely. It scared me enough that I am
lucky I didnt at the very least soil myself or panic as the goose struck the
wing root just at the top of the windshield of my Cessna 172. Imagine my efar
as I suddenly see a large goose come into view of my wing mounted landing light
and I have not yet made the runway. Each of those occasion's occurred when I
was flying my Cessna Shyhawk just like the one in that video.

Be aware, situational awareness and a bit of luck. Safe flying out there people
and maybe we can all learn something from this.

Jeff York
Georgetown Scott County Airport
KR2
2010 National Gathering Peoples Choice, Best Interior
2011 AirFest                    Best Experimental, Best Instrument. Best
Interior