Good morning all,

I enjoyed reading all the excellent stories, failure event descriptions,
arguments of pros & cons and thoughts (from John, Chris and Luis etc.)
pertaining the debate of safety on dual mags, dual E-ignition or one meg
plus one E-ignition redundant aircraft engine systems.... Well, I am glad
to see this discussion actually got us into a classical technical debate on
pros & cons in safety between conventional engineering vs digital
engineering, which has been going on for several decades across all the so
called "high integrity and high reliability" industries, such as nuclear,
aerospace, chemical and medical ....A famous topic debate on this issue in
the aerospace or aviation industry for example is the debate on "flying by
wire"!! Frankly, I am on the camp of opposing the concept of "flying by
wire" within the safety/reliability & risk assessment academic community,
and this is simply because the folks who have been advocating the concept
of "flying by wire" are the "extremist" in engineering design... For the
same reason, I am a none believer of a truly autonomous and safe unmanned
cars & trucks or ground-based transportation system based on AI technology
due to theoretically obstacles or limitations in coding highly reliable and
safe software packages based on human brains. The chilling fact is that
over 75% catastrophic accidents from all high-integrity industries were
contributed by software and human errors combined! Guess what, the single
most "unreliable component"  in our man-machine systems (such as aviation)
is the human brain itself!

Obviously, my views on this topic is taking a balance between the two
approaches and avoid going for both extreme ends of the argument! In
other words, I believe an one mag (mechanical) plus one E-ignition
redundancy makes a lot of sense in risk reduction based on theorems &
reliability engineering principles. I understand what's in the mind of Luis
on dual "independent e-ignition" component and DC power channels... The
issue here is that the two e-ignition channels are not truly independent as
you would believed! Yes, it looks independent in a physical sense but it is
inherently connected or identical due to the design and manufacturing
processes! Although I have not done a model based risk assessment myself to
compare the trade-offs in risk & reliability of these two ignition
configurations, but I am confident (based on expert judgement) that a meg
plus e-ignition configuration would highly likely to be the winner in terms
of safety risk concerns... I am sure other people in the aviation industry
have done a rigorous model based risk assignment comparison on this matter.

Just to offer some food for thoughts for folks here who might be interested
in this topic debate...!

Best of luck!

Dr. Hsu