I hate to be that guy but I have to ask the question after seeing multiple
negative posts: Do you have a flying KR or even a flying airplane at all?
All I've seen the past couple of days is negative commentary.

I've flown 200 hours in a little over two years with Lowes lawn and garden
parts, no magnetos and no issues. We are here to experiment with our
experimentals. There is always risk. If you don't accept any risk you will
never fly. We all make the decision of what is our personal level of risk
and operate accordingly. Can I crash and die? Yes. Could I die driving on
my way to work? Yes. Personally, I'd rather go in a blaze of glory doing
something I love.

Keep on building, love the process, and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Chris Pryce
Vacaville, CA

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022, 21:12 Dr. Feng Hsu via KRnet <krnet@list.krnet.org>
wrote:

> [...]
> vendor? I will feel better if the failure rate is in the range below 1E-4?!
>
> Best of luck!
>
> Dr. Hsu
>

> On Thu, Jul 7, 2022, 8:08 PM victor taylor via KRnet <krnet@list.krnet.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hey Luis,
>>
>> At Velocity we still keep one magneto on all our aircraft. I had dinner
>> with a Velocity owner who had dual batteries, dual alternators and dual
>> electronic ignition. I suggested that he have one magneto and he said
>> absolutely not and went on to say that there was no way both systems could
>> fail at once. Four months later he and his wife were coming out of
>> Kissimmee Florida and both systems failed within a minute of each other. It
>> totaled the aircraft and put them both in the hospital for over three
>> months each. He is now building another Velocity that will have one mag and
>> one electronic ignition.
>> Your system is unlikely to fail but it’s not impossible. Magnetos are
>> definitely old technology and way less efficient. But time has proven that
>> dual mags are highly reliable.
>> At the end of the day we are flying home made wooden aircraft with
>> automotive based engines on many of them. It’s relatively safe but not
>> quiet as safe as a certified aircraft with that 60 year old technology. How
>> much “experimental” we want to fly our families in is what it all boils
>> down to.
>>
>> Victor Taylor CFII
>>

>> On Jul 7, 2022, at 19:09, Tony King via KRnet <krnet@list.krnet.org>
>> wrote:
>>

>> In addition to all the points Luis has made, pretty much every car on the
>> road today has electronic ignition, with far less redundancy than Luis has
>> outlined, yet ignition failures are quite rare given the number of units in
>> operation.  Whilst there may be more complexity, the reliability of
>> electronic systems is in a whole different ball park to mechanical
>> systems.  Of course the failure modes are different too, and regardless of
>> which system(s) one chooses it's essential to understand and address how
>> they might let you down.
>>
>> TK
>>
>> On Fri, 8 Jul 2022 at 09:21, Luis Claudio via KRnet <krnet@list.krnet.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dr. HSU, oh ye of little faith... I do suggest you look into the "SDS
>>> CP1 electronic ignition systems". It means that I have dual independent
>>> power sources for controlling each independent timing computer with
>>> automatic customization for RPM and load (manifold pressure). The computer
>>> monitors my manifold pressure and smooths out the engine timing to give you
>>> the best engine performance on your climb or cruise. You are always one set
>>> of points or capacitor failure before your engine goes to hades... (you
>>> know "Hell")...
>>>
>>> Consider this"
>>> 1. The engine timing with an electronic ignition system does not drift
>>> from the setpoint since there is no mechanical wear and tear
>>> 2. Each independent computer controls an independent bank of spark plugs
>>> (4 upper and 4 lower)
>>> 3. You can customize the power curve so as you climb, the computer
>>> compensates by adjusting your engine's timing for the best performance.
>>> 4. Two completely independent batteries, one acting as primary, and the
>>> other as backup.
>>> 5. No mandatory 500 hr overhaul
>>> 6. No moving parts in the whole system... none