On 11/23/2022 12:31 PM, larry howell via KRnet wrote:
Our Dallas EAA chapter had a NASA engineer visit our chapter with videos, photos etc many years ago. He said most of the drag on an air cooled airplane is engine cooling and that a tapered wing gained you nothing until well over 200mph Probably why Vans Aircraft models have constant chord wings. If ribs are being punched out of aluminum one block for each wing I guess.

I can't find the article back that I read years ago that basically said the same thing and the RV builder kept making his cowling inlets smaller until they were as small as possible and still give good cooling.  Based on that I , very unscientifically , reduced my cowl openings by several inches.  They now measure 3"X5" with adequate outlet openings and I have excellent cooling. I could probably go smaller but I'm happy with what I've got.

On wing tips, I used a process that allowed me to easily duplicate the tips.  They turned out to be "Horner" tips and work quite well.  I have a 3 degree washout in my wings as specified in the plans and a video I made with yarn strips taped to the wings showed Zero turbulence at the tip in a power off stall.  I can elaborate if anyone is interested and someone could post the video.  I'll send photo on separate post.

Larry Flesner