Hi guys,
I have been working it pretty hard to finish up the original Dr. Dean boat that
I bought from Eric Pitts back in 2014. I still think that I will have it
together and inspected before summer but I keep taking a step back. The most
recent I am sharing and the story goes.... While finishing up panel work and
not having had a battery in or trying to turn the engine over in probably 8 to
10 months I started playing with switches and just testing to double check my
work. In this plane I have a fuel pump since the new elison actually likes more
pressure than I can get from gravity feed  (one of my favorite sayings is
gravity never quits). So I flipped the pump switch (which all worked great when
engine runs were done over a year ago)
Nothing happened except the indicator light came on. Flipped back in forth a
couple time and the pump started to run. Then it worked every time. But that
little piece of doubt had been planted in the back of my head. Over the next
couple weeks while chasing all the new tech in the plane and programing I would
flip the pump on every so often .. a couple hesitations happened and a little
more doubt planted. During one of the sessions of having the panel turned I I
noticed that the indicator for the fuel pump was very dimly lit. The pump did
not work. Now it  was worthy of figuring it out. Traced wires, switches and
breakers. checked connections and voltage and grounds. I found nothing to even
consider a install issue. Last option is bad pump. I bought 2 new in 2016
identical and one has failed with in all likely hood less than 1 hour total
time.
       I had only installed a primary fuel pump and set up the system to
gravity feed in the event of pump failure. Now I bought 2 more new pumps and am
rebuilding the fuel system to have 2 pumps in line with free flow in the off
position so that gravity is still a 3rd option. But that little voice in my
head had fuel pump failure as my worst dream and now it happened before I could
even get out of the shop.
       Maybe we should be doing a high wing FreeBird design so I could have a
good gravity feed system....
Joe Horton,
Dr. Deans plane newly registered as N657CJ