This is another variant of multi-tenancy, which is not a first-class
supported thing in Kubernetes yet.  You're actually making it vastly
more complicated by describing it as multiple cloud accounts.  That
implies different pools of VMs, which implies different clusters.  I
think federation is what you want.  We have talked about multi-cluster
masters before but it is a LOT of work for not that much gain,
frankly.  Once we have some notions of multi-tenancy, maybe this is a
followup to that.

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 2:03 AM, Mike <mikesam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Essentially the workers in one group should have no way of knowing anything
> or affecting anything in other groups. Actually, each group can also be in a
> separate cloud account and so this isolation already exists at the cloud
> level. It is just sharing the control plane (which also lives in a different
> cloud account itself) enables any vulnerability from other groups.
>
> We also want each worker group to be able to be broken up into namespaces
> and essentially be treated as if it was a standalone Kubernetes cluster.
> Really the goal in here is to have, say, hundreds of smaller Kubernetes-like
> clusters in say different cloud accounts/vpc's but make them all to share
> the control plane to save the cost of having to have a control plane per
> group. I think this is how the amazon ECS runs.
>
> On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 7:10:37 PM UTC-7, Ian Lewis wrote:
>>
>> What kind of isolation are you talking about? Network isolation? Do you
>> need network encapsulation? Resource (noisy neighbor) isolation? Is nothing
>> shared between the groups? e.g. volumes etc.? Do pods within groups need to
>> be broken up into namespaces? or can namespaces be the way you define
>> groups?
>>
>> Ian
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 10:59 AM Mike <mikes...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am new to Kubernetes and I have a question regarding the possibility of
>>> sharing the control plane of a single Kubernetes cluster among a whole bunch
>>> of workers that are
>>>
>>> grouped into 100% isolated groups
>>> each workers group does not need to access any pod in any other group and
>>> actually a zero access is a must
>>> groups are often in isolated cloud accounts so access to the control
>>> plane must be through publicly IPs which translates to control plane
>>> machines in the same region of the same provider in a different cloud
>>> account.
>>>
>>> Please note that this is NOT like the new federation features where we
>>> have multiple separate Kubernetes clusters. This is more like the amazon ECS
>>> where isolated workers of customer talk to a single control plane running on
>>> aws backend services.
>>>
>>> Is this possible today?
>>> If not, what is missing?
>>> Can worker isolation be guaranteed with today's design?
>>>
>>> --

  • [kubernetes... Mike
    • Re: [k... 'Ian Lewis' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
      • Re... Mike
        • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
          • ... Mike
            • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
              • ... 'Daniel Smith' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
              • ... Mike
                • ... 'David Oppenheimer' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
                • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A