On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 11:54 AM, Mike <mikesam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> Thank you for the answer. The goal is to share the control plane among ,say,
> 100 smaller clusters (only worker nodes in each cluster) which will save you
> something like 100*3=300 control plane nodes so it seems to be significant
> unless I am missing something when you refer to it as not gaining much.
> Would you please elaborate on this? Not that I disagree with you but I just
> want to understand your point.

Numerically it saves YOU but the amount of engineering to make it work
is still disproportionate to the savings.  This is something that very
few people have asked for over the course of 2 years.  If we had
hundreds of people pounding the table and demanding it, it might make
more sense, but we just don't (yet?).

> Stating the worker groups to be in different cloud accounts emphasis that
> actually each worker group is, in fact, a different pool of VMs but they all
> share a single control plane for cost saving and simplicity. Again this is
> how amazon ECS seems to operate.

Sure, but ECS is an software project of enormous scale, with thousands
of customers being serviced.   It is internally sharded and federated,
so that when portions of it go down, it doesn't ALL go down.  Google
Cloud is exactly the same.  In truth, these mega-services follow
something much closer to a federated model.

> Don't you need a control plane per worker group/pool to be able to use
> federation?

Yes - this avoids coordinated failures, among other reasons.  I'm not
saying it wouldn't be interesting to have this - I am saying we DON'T
have it, and it would be really hard to build, and that there are 80%
solutions along the way that seem like likely resting places :)

> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 9:50:11 AM UTC-7, Tim Hockin wrote:
>>
>> This is another variant of multi-tenancy, which is not a first-class
>> supported thing in Kubernetes yet.  You're actually making it vastly
>> more complicated by describing it as multiple cloud accounts.  That
>> implies different pools of VMs, which implies different clusters.  I
>> think federation is what you want.  We have talked about multi-cluster
>> masters before but it is a LOT of work for not that much gain,
>> frankly.  Once we have some notions of multi-tenancy, maybe this is a
>> followup to that.
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 2:03 AM, Mike <mikes...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Essentially the workers in one group should have no way of knowing
>> > anything
>> > or affecting anything in other groups. Actually, each group can also be
>> > in a
>> > separate cloud account and so this isolation already exists at the cloud
>> > level. It is just sharing the control plane (which also lives in a
>> > different
>> > cloud account itself) enables any vulnerability from other groups.
>> >
>> > We also want each worker group to be able to be broken up into
>> > namespaces
>> > and essentially be treated as if it was a standalone Kubernetes cluster.
>> > Really the goal in here is to have, say, hundreds of smaller
>> > Kubernetes-like
>> > clusters in say different cloud accounts/vpc's but make them all to
>> > share
>> > the control plane to save the cost of having to have a control plane per
>> > group. I think this is how the amazon ECS runs.

>> > --

  • [kubernetes... Mike
    • Re: [k... 'Ian Lewis' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
      • Re... Mike
        • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
          • ... Mike
            • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
              • ... 'Daniel Smith' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
              • ... Mike
                • ... 'David Oppenheimer' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
                • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A