On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 05:17:48PM -0400, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> I'm trying to make sure that as I'm deploying new services on our cluster,
> that failures/restarts get handled in a way that's most optimal for
> resiliency/uptime.
>

> I'm simplifying things a bit, but if a piece of code running inside a
> container crashes, there's more or less 2 possibilities:  1) bug in the code
> (and/or it's trying to process data that causes an error), or 2) problems

It can be a "random" issue (like a network burp, etc.), or also exceeding memory
limits of the container and gets restarted (that happens when X event is
processed in the container and uses tons of mem), etc, etc. Which will, most
probably, work if restarted.

> with the hardware/network (full disk, bad disk, network outage, etc.)  If

As Tim said, network outage is handled (like if the node <--> master network is
not working) just fine. Full disk should be handled fine since a few versions of
kubernetes now, as there is accounting of inodes and space used by containers,
so it can be reclaimed too.

> the issue is #1, then it doesn't matter whether you restart the container or
> the pod.  But if the issue is #2, then restarting the pod (i.e., on another
> host) would fix the problem, while restarting the container probably
> wouldn't.
>
> So I guess this is sort of alluding to a bigger question, then:  does k8s
> have any ability to detect if a host is having hardware problems and, if so,
> avoid scheduling new pods on it, move pods off of it if their containers are
> crashing, etc.

I know of https://github.com/kubernetes/node-problem-detector, that I think
tries to solve exactly that. But I have not used that myself.

So I guess the answer is "yes" :-)

Thanks,
Rodrigo