On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 2:27 AM,  <zoltan.zv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We measured that we lose at least one order of magnitude in terms of latency,
> which is our key KPI in this setup.

If you are moving from a model where your apps were guaranteed to be
colocated into Kubernetes, you are going to have a rough trip.
Kubernetes starts by assuming that everything speaks over the network.

> Pods are not always on the same host, but we play with co-location a lot.
> 1:1 mainly.

Consider bundling them into the same Pod?  Pods share IPC and are
co-scheduled.  In some sense, a pod is a replacement for a VM.

Alternatively, you could consider the `hostIPC` field - it will put
your pods in the machine's IPC space, wherein they can find each
other.  We don't have a general mechanism yet for sharing namespaces
across pods.  we may get there some day, but the complexity has to be
justified pretty broadly.

> Matthias, Tim, I will get back to you with a decent benchmark on our metals.
> Thanks so far for your kind help!
>
> Zoltán
>
> On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 8:27:52 PM UTC+1, Tim Hockin wrote:
>> Are you concerned about perf because you measured it?  Or because you
>> suspect it might become a thing later?
>>
>> Are you really sure that your pods will ALWAYS be on the same host?
>>
>> Are your pods 1:1 or 1:N relationships?
>>
>> Could these highly-connected pods just be one bigger pod?
>>
>> To be sure, there's some overhead in networking containers today, but
>> you haven't really explained your problem.
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 10:08 AM,  <zoltan.zv...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Thanks Tim,
>> >
>> > Do you know of any technique(s) to speed up the network between pods
>> > (probably co-located onto the same machine)? Shared memory communication
>> > seems to be a good candidate within pods.

>> > --

  • [kubernetes-u... zoltan . zvara
    • Re: [kub... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
      • Re: ... zoltan . zvara
        • ... 'Matthias Rampke' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
        • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
          • ... zoltan . zvara
            • ... Rodrigo Campos